If you’re planning a major remodel of your Frisco, Texas, home, your most important task is to find the very best remodeler in the area. This person or company will be taking on the overall responsibility for your project, plotting out the job, drawing up a schedule, hiring the subcontractors, ordering the materials, making sure everything and everyone stays on track, and keeping you up to date and being available for your questions and input.
If you hire a design-build company such as Thaddeus Drew Remodeling, that company also will create the design for your remodel.
Here are some tips on how to find the best remodeler in Frisco.
To start, talk to family members and friends who have remodeled their homes to get their recommendations. Go online to check out the names of the builders who sound the best. Visit websites that you trust and read the reviews. Go to the Better Business Bureau site for Frisco and see if the companies are in good standing.
After trimming your list to about three of the most promising contractors, call the companies and ask some basic questions: How long have they been in business? Have they worked on projects similar to yours? Would their schedules match up with the time you would like your project done? Could they give you the names and contact information of previous clients? Could you visit one of their job sites?
Next, schedule in-person consultations with a couple of contractors to get a better sense of the way they operate. Bring along a list of questions, and take notes on the responses. Here are some potential questions to ask:
- How do you decide about the quality of materials you use?
- How much experience do you have on projects that are similar to mine, in terms of scale, style, quality, and price?
- How will you determine the price for my remodel?
- Could you give me a price estimate?
- Would you assign a contact person with whom I could communicate during construction, and how do you have a system for such interactions?
- How many of your subcontractors have been working for you for more than a year or two? Do you ensure that they are licensed and insured?
- Can you show me proof that you are registered to work in the city of Frisco?
- How do you handle change orders, if I change my mind about something in my remodel or if you run across something unexpected below the surface? How are the costs calculated?
- How long would my remodel take? What kind of assurances do you provide for a completion date?
- Do you give warranties for your work?
- What size of a down payment do you need, what forms of payment do you accept, and at what points in the project do you require payment?
- Could I see a sample contract, budget, construction schedule, change order request, and warranty that your company uses?
- Do you carry insurance for property damage, workers’ compensation, and personal liability? Can you show me proof of your insurance and bond?
- Is my budget reasonable for the type of remodel that I’m planning?
How Does This Feel?
As you talk with the contractors, note how well they listen to you. Do they answer your questions fully and without hesitation? Do you think you could adequately communicate with these people throughout the length of your project? Are you comfortable with their personality, integrity, and professionalism?
After you interview the builders, you’ll need to check their references with previous clients. Ask those homeowners:
- Would you use this remodeler for another project at your house?
- How accurate was the company’s price estimate?
- Was the project completed on time?
- Did the builder deal with any problems to your satisfaction?
- How clean and organized was the work site during construction?
- Were you happy with the work and professionalism of all the subcontractors?
- How were the lines of communication between you and the builder during the project
Make a Decision
Now is the time to decide on a builder, based not just on price but on all the other information and impressions you have gathered during the selection process.